September is now in full swing, and that means October is on deck. Can you believe it’s almost fall, y’all? Although it may still be hot as Hades and some of us are having an especially hard time letting go of the final rays of summer, it’s impossible to deny the flutter of excited anticipation that is felt whenever phrases like “pumpkin spice” or “fuzzy socks” are mentioned. I cannot wait to whip out my favorite mug, unpack my cozy sweaters from their summer vacation storage bins, and embrace all of the wonderful magic that fall brings. One particularly delightful aspect of fall is all of the décor that comes with it: jewel toned and earthy color palettes, nature inspired pieces, and warm metallic touches. Tell me again who on this planet doesn’t love fall? There are many simple things you can do to allow your home décor to capture that oh-so-wonder-fall essence. I’m ready if you’re ready; let’s get to decking those fall halls.
1. Seasonal Wreath. This is the very first thing guests see when approaching your home. A wreath will catch people’s eyes, and a tasteful wreath provides immense curb appeal. Whether you prefer a very small and simple circle of greenery, or the big, glittery masterpieces, choose something that you love, and hang it on the door as your “hello one and all” greeting for fall.
2. Doormat. Do you know what people do when they’re waiting for you to answer your door? They look down and see…your doormat. Are you picturing it now? It is brown and worn out and fully covered in dried leaves that got stomped into it last year and settled in for the winter and then never left? *gasp* Don’t worry, my friends. This one is a quick and inexpensive update. Take yourself on a Target date (not sponsored, but let’s be real, we all love that place) and browse their selection of doormats! They often have holiday and seasonal options, but I suggest selecting a more versatile mat that can stand the test of at least a few changing seasons. Now when the days grow shorter, the temperatures grow cooler, and your friends come bearing pumpkin-filled baked goods, they’ll be pleasantly surprised by the stunningly beautiful carpet art at their feet while they wait at your door.
3. Serving Ware. Seasonal dishes can make any meal more festive, and can even be hung on the wall as artwork. If you don’t want to invest in a complete 12 place- setting collection, just select a few serving trays or bowls that you can incorporate with the rest of your dining spread. The little bit of added holiday cheer will have you wanting to cook and bake for the masses, and they will want to come bask in the beauty of your festive fall home.
4. Candles. Not only do they smell amazing and create the perfect ambience in just minutes, but candles can also contribute greatly to the look of a room. I don’t know about you, but for me, it’s almost impossible to get through the fall and winter seasons without purchasing a host of new candles. I mean come on, Pumpkin Pecan? Spiced Pomegranate Cider? Marshmallow Fireside? These are the scents I dream of. To sweeten the deal even further, many candle manufacturers are now investing more into the appearance of their candles, transforming them into decorative pieces rather than the mere scent machines of the past. Search your local boutiques for candles poured in copper, brass or gold containers that will bring a warm metallic glimmer to your space when you light them.
5. Pumpkins. I know what you’re thinking: “Hello! This should have been number one on the list!” As you and I both know, pumpkins are the quintessential fall décor item. First of all, they
re festive and adorable. And on top of that, selecting them at the pumpkin patch is a fun (and Insta-worthy) fall activity. With so many different shapes and sizes available, you can customize a unique pumpkin display according to your own personal style. The best part is, you don’t even have to be artsy to achieve a rustic-chic pumpkin ensemble; simply select three or five pumpkins of varying sizes, and plop them on your front porch or in the center of your dining table, and everyone will think you’re an autumn décor aficionado.
You have all the creativity and inspiration you need, so go make some beautiful fall creations, designers!